Ryedale District Council

Ryedale District Council - electoral registration

  • North Yorkshire County Council Elections 4, May 2017

    The next elections to North Yorkshire County Council will be held on Thursday 4 May 2017. NYCC

    For the County Council elections, Ryedale is divided into six electoral divisions:

    • Kirkbymoorside
    • Pickering
    • Malton
    • Hovingham and Sheriff Hutton
    • Norton
    • Thornton Dale and The Wolds

    A Candidates and Agents briefing for the forthcoming County Council elections was held in the Council Chamber at Ryedale House on Monday 13 February at 5pm.

    This briefing is for anyone considering standing or acting as agent in the six electoral divisions in the Ryedale area.

    Nomination packs will be available from the date of the briefing.

    The electoral division map is also available to download below.


  • Register to vote

    The deadline to apply to register to vote in the Election of the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire election is Monday 18 April 2016. The deadline to apply to register to vote in the EU Referendum is Tuesday 7 June 2016

    Why is there a box relating to jury service exemption for the over 70s?

    The court service use the electoral register to determine members of the public eligible for jury service. Each year the council supplies them with a register that excludes electors who are ineligible because of their ages. Please note we do not deal with exemption from jury service. Find out more information  

    - See more at: https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/council/local-democracy-and-elections/register-vote/annual-canvass#over70

    The registration system changed to Individual Electoral Registration in June 2014. Everyone is now responsible for registering themselves to vote. If you have moved English Logo Landscape RGB resizehouse recently and haven't re-registered, you can now register to vote online at here.

    Why Register?

    • if you don't register, you can't vote!
    • by law, you must register to vote or you could be fined up to £80
    • if you are not on the register you may find it harder to get a loan, mortgage, finance agreement, or even a mobile phone contract as the register is used by credit reference agencies
    • it gives you a say on who runs the country, who sits on your County, District and Parish Councils, and who represents you in Europe. 

    Who can register?

    You can register to vote if you are:

    • 16 or older (although you can't vote until you're 18)
    • a British citizen; or
    • an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth, or European Union citizen living in the UK

    If you are student living away from home, you can register at both your home and university term time address. Registering to vote at your term time address means you can choose where you vote.

    You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. You will need something called a 'declaration of local connection' to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. Please contact the Electoral Services Unit for more information.

    How to register 

    Use the government online service to register to vote, or update your name or address it takes less than 5 minutes and saves the Council money on printing and postage.

    You will need your National Insurance number and date of birth. Your National Insurance number can be found on your National Insurance card or letter, or on official paper work such as payslips or letters about tax or benefits. If you cannot find your National Insurance number, visit https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

    If you are unable to complete the application online, contact us on 01653 600666 for a paper form.

    Everyone is responsible for registering themselves to vote and the only way to do it is by either going online or by completing a paper form. Electoral Registration is a completely separate process and you will not automatically be registered to vote by any other contact you have with the Council, such as Council Tax or Housing Benefit.

    When we receive your application, we have to check your identity against Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and other records, so applying does not mean that you will be automatically registered. Once your details have been checked by the DWP, you will receive a letter from us either confirming that you are registered, or asking you for more information.

    The electoral register is only updated at certain times of the year - generally the first of every month, apart from in October and November. There are strict deadlines which mean that you can only be added to the register if we receive your application on time and we have all the information we need to process it.

    If you have any queries or for further information, please contact 01653 600666 or email

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.
You are here: Home