Ryedale District Council

Food business registration

Information and advice regarding the registration of food premises.

Food Premises Registration.

Approved Premises Registration.

Food Premises Registration

Registration Summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority.

The business should be registered at least 28 days before food operations commence. To do this, please complete a Food premises registration form.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this registration [(EC) No 852/2004].

Hazard Analysis

Food legislation affecting caterers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers clearly sets out the duty of food businesses to produce food safely and to achieve consistency. The legislation includes most areas of farming, covering the whole food chain from 'farm to fork'.

Food business operators must adopt an approach called HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) within their businesses. This is a straightforward procedure that identifies the critical points where food safety hazards could potentially occur and requires that steps are put in place to prevent these from occurring. It is important appropriate records are kept to prove that the system is working and that food ready for consumption is safe.

The Food Standards Agency has a pack entitled 'Safer Food Better Business'. This is based on a simple fact sheet system that explains how to look for the main food safety hazards in a food business and how they can be controlled. A diary is also provided so that appropriate records can be kept.


Download a registration form (PDF) from the foot of this page.

It is the duty of the food business operator to ensure that the Council has up to date information of their food business and to notify the Council of any significant changes of activities or closure of the premises.

For further information please contact Health and Environment on 01653 600666.

[Back to top]

Approved Premises for Food

Some food businesses manufacturing foods from raw (unprocessed) ingredients such as raw meat, unpasteurised milk and raw fish may require approval, especially if they do not sell them to the final consumer. If your business sells such products to supermarkets, catering premises or other shops you may require approval to to this.

The approval criteria is complex and we advise that you speak to the Consumer Protection Unit to identify if you need approval. If you process meat (mincing or cutting primal joints) for caterers or other such institutions you may also require approval.

The approval criteria are higher than that for normal food business and there are requirements on businesses for an increased level of documentation and controls. The additional requirements then allow your business to sell throughout the UK and export your products to Europe once approved.

For further information please contact Health and Environment on 01653 600666.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this Approval [(EC) No 853/2004].

A summary of the regulation relating to this Approval [(EC) No 852/2004].

How long will it take to receive the Approval?

Following receipt of the application form and any necessary attachments including the relevant fee, you can expect to hear from us within 100 days.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Failed Application Redress and Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.




Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (Food_Premises_Registration.pdf)Food premises registration form143 kB04-2014

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us