Ryedale District Council

Private hire vehicle (minicab) licence

A Private Hire vehicle must be pre-booked and cannot pick up passengers off the street or off a rank. 

What is a private hire vehicle?

With a Private Hire vehicle you

  • Must be pre-booked,
  • You cannot pick up passengers off the street or off a rank.
  • You must display a plate, fastened securely to the rear of the vehicle, stating the district in which you are licensed, the number of passengers you are licensed to carry and details of the vehicle i.e. Private Hire, vehicle registration.

A private hire vehicle is constructed or adapted to seat less than nine passengers and is not a hackney carriage or public service vehicle provided for hire, with the services of a driver for the purpose of carrying passengers.

Licences are probably not needed where:

  • Every passenger pays a separate fare
  • The vehicle is an emergency ambulance
  • The vehicle is an ambulance operated as part of a formal Patient Transport Service (not necessarily for the NHS). Vehicles driven by volunteers or on an ad-hoc basis for profit may still need licensing.
  • Volunteer car drivers only receive expenses within the limits allowed by HM Revenue and Customs.
  • Childminders carry children, unless it is a contractual requirement that a vehicle is provided as part of looking after a child.
  • Transport is provided for weddings and funerals

Please read the policy guidelines attached to the application form available from the Taxi Licensing Officer or telephone on (01653) 600666.

What is required for a vehicle application?

When applying to licence a vehicle you must fill out the relevant application form i.e. Hackney Carriage Vehicle or Private Hire Vehicle, accompanied by the vehicle's V5 document, a current Insurance Certificate and if over 3 years old an MOT certificate. The vehicle on first application must be under 5 years old and can be renewed until it reaches 10 years old. If the vehicle is new and being licensed as a Hackney Carriage, once it reaches 1 year old the Hackney Carriage must then have a MOT certificate.

All vehicles must be inspected by the Council's Mechanic before being licensed.


Fees are charged for vehicle, driver and operator licences. Please see the PDF download for details.

What will happen if I fail to be licensed?

It is a legal requirement to be appropriately licensed and there are several penalties for not being licensed in the appropriate manner. Failing to have the appropriate licences in place can result in criminal prosecution for:

  • Failing to hold an operators licence
  • Failing to hold a vehicle licence
  • Failing to hold a drivers licence

Each offence carries a maximum penalty of £1,000.

If you require any further information please email the Taxi Licensing Officer or telephone 01653 600666.

What do I do next?

In order to comply with the licensing laws up to three licences are required.

  • An operator's licence. This is granted for one year and places various record keeping requirements on licence holders.
  • A vehicle licence. This is granted for one year after completion of a compliance test.
  • A driver's licence. This is granted for one year to a driver who can prove they are 'fit and proper' after satisfactorily completing a medical examination and enhanced criminal records bureau check.

All application forms are available to download below.


Attachments (downloads)
FileNo of pagesFile sizeCreated
Download this file (V2_Driver_Application_Form_Dec_2016.pdf)1. Driver application form10181 kB09-2016
Download this file (Vehicle_App_Policy_Guidelines_updated_Nov2016.pdf)2. Vehicle application form490 kB09-2016
Download this file (Operator_App_updated_Nov2016.pdf)3. Operator application form684 kB09-2016
Download this file (Medical_questionnaire.pdf)4. Medical questionnaire7133 kB09-2016
Download this file (Taxi_licensing_price_list_2016_17.pdf)Taxi licensing price list128 kB11-2013
Download this file (Taxi_Code_conduct_2011_12.pdf)Taxis Code of Conduct246 kB11-2013

Contact us

Main contact links for the Council:

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

We're on Social Networks. Follow us and get in touch.

Website status

We will report here on any changes to web services.

25 May 2017: We are currently unable to process credit and debit card payments online and over the phone due to an issue with our payment system. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

» Website feedback

You are here: Home All services Business and economy Licensing and regulation Taxi and minicab licensing Private hire vehicle (minicab) licence