Ryedale District Council

Housing benefit overpayments

The local authority has a duty to recover overpayments of benefit for which there was no entitlement from tenants and landlords and where necessary take criminal proceedings in respect of fraudulent overpayments.

How will I know if I have got an overpayment?money pounds
We will write and tell you when this happens. We will tell you;

  • What caused the overpayment.
  • The dates of the overpayment.
  • The amount of the overpayment.
  • What to do if you disagree with the overpayment.

If we are going to ask you to pay back the overpayment we will write to you again to tell you how this will be done.

If you do not agree with the overpayment you may want to appeal against the decision.

How is the overpayment recovered?

  • If you are still getting Housing Benefit, your benefit may be reduced each week to recover the overpayment.
  • If you no longer qualify for benefit then an invoice will be sent to you..
  • If your landlord was paid your benefit, we may ask the landlord to repay the overpayment in certain circumstances.
  • If your circumstances change, don't forget to let us know as soon as possible.

It is very important that you tell us of any change in circumstances to avoid an overpayment of benefit.

If you need further advice please contact the Benefits Services on 01653 600666 ext 600 or email Benefits Services.

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Council tax and benefits Benefits Housing benefit overpayments