Ryedale District Council

Garden waste collections are not affected by the bank holiday. All other collections will be one day late.
More information available here

You are here: Home All services Health and social care Adult social care Going into hospital

Going into hospital

If you, or anyone in your home, go into hospital and you are receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you , or someone on your behalf, must tell us immediately.

You must tell Benefits Services the date that person went into hospital and, if available, a contact name and address.mobile phonecall
We also need proof of any income that has reduced or stopped as a result of a hospital stay.
If at any time that person is discharged from hospital or it is decided that person will not be returning home you must tell us immediately.

If you don't tell us immediately, you might lose Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support or be paid too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. If you are unable to write immediately, you should telephone or email first and then write and confirm as soon as possible.

A stay in hospital may affect your claim for other benefits. For example, this can include:

  • Where a disabled person has been in hospital their Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment or equivalent benefit can be paid for up to 28 days (12 weeks in the case of a child) with the result that their carer will lose their entitlement to carer's allowance. The carer premium will continue to be used when reassessing benefit/support for a further eight weeks.
  • Where a carer goes into hospital, entitlement to carer's allowance is not normally lost until after 12 weeks, after which the carer premium will continue for a further eight weeks.

If you need further advice please contact the Revenues & Benefits Services, Ryedale House, Old Malton Road, Malton YO17 7HH or telephone 01653 600666 ext 600 or email Benefits Services.

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us


Website status

Due to a system update the planning online register will be unavailable for two days from Wednesday 23 August 2017
Apologies for an inconvenience this may cause

You are here: Home All services Health and social care Adult social care Going into hospital