Ryedale District Council

Unauthorised house occupants

What should I do if I know someone is squatting in an empty property?

The laws on squatting are complex and the council cannot simply evict a person who is squatting. However, if you become aware of squatters in a housing association property please email the Housing Team so that we can begin action, or you can telephone the Housing Team on 01653 600666.

Empty housing association properties are usually awaiting repair, redecoration or re-letting and we are keen to ensure that they stay empty so that they can be refurbished, advertised and re-let, enabling someone to have the opportunity to find a new home through the choice based lettings system. For more information please visit North Yorkshire Homechoice.

The council's ability to deal with squatters in privately-owned properties is limited, but if you have concerns about squatters behaving in an anti-social manner, you can contact the Police or the Community Safety Team on 01653 600666. You can also contact the Housing Options Team who will attempt to contact the owner directly.

For further information on this topic visit:

GOV.UK (A government website with clear information for everyone in the community).

Crisis (The website of Crisis which is a charity concerned with campaigning for and assisting single people who are homeless).

Shelter (The website of Shelter which is a charity concerned with housing issues and assisting homeless people).

Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Council and social housing Unauthorised house occupants