Road closures and diversions
- Category: Roads and pavements
- Last Updated: 17 February 2016
In certain circumstances, we may allow roads to be closed for specific events being held on the highway, e.g. street party, village fete, Christmas lights switch on, Christmas market etc.
Such road closures require a formal legal order and may only be granted if:-
- the event is for a public event only;
- the event is generally confined to minor roads where traffic volumes are low;
- suitable alternative routes for affected traffic are available;
- residents/traders affected by the event have been consulted and agree to the closure;
- the Police have raised no objections
- the Highways agency have been consulted and do not object to the closure.
If you wish to apply for a road closure then please download the guidance notes and complete the application form and return it to the Council Solicitor at least 8 weeks before the date of the proposed closure.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide, erect and maintain the required traffic and diversion signs.
Please also see the information from North Yorkshire County Council on events and street parties.
Please note that this service is not provided by Ryedale District Council. Information on this service is provided by North Yorkshire County Council.
A traffic regulation order issued by the local authority where works on the highway, or some large deliveries, require a road to be closed temporarily to general traffic.