Ryedale District Council

Ending housing tenancy

It is important that you take the correct action when you want to end a tenancy and you should only do so when you have found somewhere else to live.

You should give the correct notice in writing and make sure your rent is paid and you remove all of your belongings from the property and leave it in a clean and tidy condition, otherwise you may be charged extra by your landlord for the removal of rubbish and cleaning of the property.

You should also take meter readings and contact your utility providers to tell them that you are moving.

I am a private tenant – how can I end my tenancy?

You should check your tenancy agreement to make sure that you give the correct amount of notice and you will normally be required to give your landlord written notice.

Further advice is available from GOV.UK and Shelter.

I am a housing association tenant – how can I end my tenancy?

There are no council houses in the District and all social housing is provided by Housing Associations including:-

For further information about ending your tenancy please contact your landlord.


Contact us

Ryedale District Council
Ryedale House, Old Malton Road
Malton, North Yorkshire
YO17 7HH

Find our main offices by map

Connect with us

You are here: Home All services Housing Council and social housing Ending housing tenancy