The Council is committed to promoting cycling as an alternative mode of travel to the car for short trips or as part of longer journeys.
Ryedale District offers a wealth of places for cyclists to enjoy their sport.
Dalby Forest – World class facilities. There are a range of graded routes with miles of technical single track, north shore, 4X course, the World Cup XC course and green and blue trails suitable for families, beginners and intermediate riders. Now the English CTC (the national cycling charity) centre of excellence, with emphasis on tuition and training.
Newbridge Park Woods, Pickering - An award-winning site part of the legacy from the UCI world championships. The site has been developed by the people of Pickering, has cross-country cycle trails, jump park and pump track.
The natural geography of the area - Classic road and mountain biking terrain including the Howardian Hills and North Yorkshire Moors, with renowned road challenges such as Rosedale Chimney Bank and Blakey Bank. The area includes the finale of the mountain bike route and the cycle-way and road based route for the Coast to Coast, Moor to Sea cycle route and is crossed by the Sustrans National Route 65.
- Ryedale Grand Prix, held annually since 2005, on three occasions has doubled as the National Championships in 2005, 2008 and 2012.
- Annual Yorkshire Wolds Challenge.
- Proposals for Malton Town Centre Criterion race in association with a local cycling club
- Mainly a road cycling club competing in Time Trials, Road Races and Cycle Cross.
- Club ride every Sunday and Friday morning at 9am, usually returning at 12:30 after approximately 50 miles. All rides start from Malton Market Place near Northern Ride cycling shop. Average speed (weather and terrain dependent) is about 16mph.
- Chain gang on Thursday nights meeting at Swinton at 6:25. During the Summer we hold club Time Trials on Wednesday evenings.
- Affiliated with British Cycling, Cyclist Touring Club, Yorkshire Cycling Federation and Cycling Time Trials.
- E-mail Malton Wheelers.
- Big Bear Bikes – Southgate, Pickering
- Northern Ride – Malton Market Place
- Pickering Cycle Centre – Market Place, Pickering
- Dalby Bike Barn – Dalby Forest – including bike hire
For further information visit the British Cycling website.
More information is provided by North Yorkshire County Council.